Dieting and exercising, but not seeing the needle move on the scale? You may need more sleep.
Not getting enough sleep messes with your hormones big time – which can sabotage weight loss.
Here’s what I mean…
Lack of sleep spikes your hunger hormone ghrelin and causes leptin, the hormone that makes you feel full, to drop.
This hormonal mix can make it very tough to lose weight…
Skimping on also sleep hikes up the stress hormone cortisol, causing your body to hold onto fat.
Which is NOT ideal when you’re dieting…
Luckily, you can easily remedy this by getting plenty of sleep every night.
People who get at least 7 hours of sleep eat fewer calories, have fewer junk food cravings, and make better food choices than people who don’t get enough Zzzs.
Have trouble getting quality shut-eye? Here are 6 ways to improve your sleep:
- Avoid screens an hour before bed: These can mess with your sleep-wake cycle and make it harder to hit the hay.
- Dim the lights: Bright lights late at night disrupt melatonin, your sleep hormone.
- Stick to a regular sleep schedule, even on the weekends: This primes your body to know when it’s time to snooze.
- Steer clear of caffeine after 2 pm: It takes 5-6 hours for its effects to wear off.
- Sleep in a cool room. Drop the thermostat a few notches to signal your body it’s time to sleep.
- Wind down: Read, meditate, journal, listen to some relaxing music, or take a bath. This helps you let go of stress so you slide into sleep easier.
ACTION STEP: Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night this week.
Superfood Spotlight: Cinnamon
Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, packed with antioxidants, and the ultimate weight loss spice. It promotes blood sugar balance, to keep your sugar cravings at bay.
But it may boost your metabolism too. That’s because it takes more energy to process cinnamon compared to other foods.
Cinnamon also adds some natural sweetness to foods, without adding extra sugar or calories. You can sprinkle some on your oatmeal, sip on some cinnamon tea, or toss some in a smoothie like in the recipe below:
Recipe of the Week: Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
- 1 medium frozen banana, chopped (120g)
- ½ medium zucchini, chopped (100g)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds, ground (7g)
- 1 tbsp rolled oats (10g)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (10g)
- ½ medjool date, pitted (12g)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (240ml)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (2.5ml)
6 Secret Pressure Points for Pain Relief
We all have pain now and then. But when pain lingers for too long, it can mess with your mood, energy, and sleep – and make it tough just to get through your day.
Luckily, acupressure offers an easy way to ease pain. And it’s not nearly as hard as you think! Need some relief ASAP? Check out this post where I break down the 6 best pressure points for pain relief.
This week’s win comes from Alison, who’s early in her 21-Day Smoothie Diet journey, but already seeing major results:
“I’ve already done the 5-day smoothie diet for 7 days and am now on Day 2 of the 28 Day smoothies diet. I’m proud to say I’ve now lost nearly 3kg (6.6 lbs) and starting to fit more smoothly into my clothes.” -Alison C.
Amazing job Alison! I can’t wait to hear how the rest of your transformation goes!
That’s all for now – until next time, have a great week!